Followers

Friday 19 June 2009

Get Lost in Music...


Photo Credit: PhilipZeplin
Until recently, I’ve been stuck in a musical rut.

I want something new to listen to and I don’t want to be permanently plugged into Radio 1 to discover it. Their inane chatter in between tracks is too off-putting when I’m working.

So, I was chuffed to bits when I recently discovered Last FM. You type in a band you like and it creates a non-stop-music radio station for you - featuring your chosen band and artists of a similar genre.

It’s fab for discovering new music - and rediscovering old favourites. My current fave is Polly Scattergood (no, I’d never heard of her either). Check out her very beautiful Poem Song and Other too Endless. You can even create your own playlists - and send the URL to your mates. Please share your discoveries with me!

Ella's dad recommended Spotify to me the other day. It’s like a jukebox for your PC.

Basically, you download it (for free) and type in any album or artist. You can then listen to all their stuff for free (but can’t burn it to CD/download it onto your MP3 player).

It takes all the risk out of buying new music ‘cos you can listen to an album as many times as you like before popping to the shops/ordering it on Amazon.

It’s also great for keeping up with your muso friends – whenever they mention a band/singer you should know about (as happened to me re. PJ Harvey), nod sagely then scurry on home to listen to their entire back catalogue on Spotify. Like what you hear? Discover more bands like them on Last FM...

The soundtrack to my life just got a whole lot more interesting.

I’m currently working my way through the Camp Bestival line up so I know who to make a beeline for in July. Although I’ll need to keep my plans flexible...

CBeebies’ Mr Tumble, Angelina Ballerina with the English National Ballet and Will Young will be vying for Ella’s attention. Strangely enough, El’s most excited about the Knitting Tent.

Rock on, Ella!

6 comments:

The wife of bold said...

Sounds great..i'm off to try and figure it out now, i am in desperate need of a music makeover...i still listen to Mariah Careys old albums :0

Anonymous said...

Me too, just discovered Polly Scattergood. Buying her album this weekend. She is amzing.

Metropolitan Mum said...

If you have a lot in your itunes library: press the 'genius' button. It diggs out songs you didn't know you had...

Thanks for the great tips!

BiG Bear said...

Well I entered all my favourite bands and guess what the top artist that was recommended.....
Yes Billy Piper!!
I'm sure it must be broken :(

Oh no - 13th choice is Lamb who I have just listened to for the first time and they are really good.

I'm not going to even mention that the other 11 artists are.

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine recommended Spotify the other day. I'm off now to try it. I'll be spending the next week on the internet at this rate.

PS Will Young is my most favourite artist in the whole world. x

A Modern Mother said...

Thanks for the tip, sounds fab. Highlighting on Thames Valley Mums...

PS -- enjoying the heat?!