Followers

Friday 31 October 2008

Trick or sweets?



Photo by
Albita.
I’m all kitted out in black, with thick tights emblazoned with glittery bats. Tres chic. A homage to my goth days.

Ella is waiting until we go trick or treating tonight as she’s far too cool to be seen out and about in her costume during the day. Unlike her mother who has no shame whatsoever.

Did you know that the tradition of dressing up as otherworldly creatures started so that people could blend in when the real spirits of the dead came walking on the earth? Cute. I’m not sure how fitting in with dead people morphed into cadging sweets from your neighbours though.

Ever noticed how the main religious festivals centre around sweets? Easter eggs, chocolate advent calendars, chocolate coins in stockings, trick or treat sweets. Apart from Lent, which is mainly about not having sweets. I think.

I’m off to make pumpkin pie. Happy Halloween!

No comments: