Photo: Tracie Taylor Photography
How refreshing after that bumbling, dangerous Dubbya.
And what a striking figurehead for change. America’s first black president. Many of us hoped for it, but I wonder how many of us truly thought it would actually happen now. Can you believe that only 40 years ago black people couldn't get on the same bus as whites? There’s the ‘Audacity of Hope’ for you.
When the American television series “24” presented us with the fictional African American president, David Palmer, it may well have paved the way for today’s historical moment. After all, TV is a nation’s shared experience. “24” imprinted the hearts and minds of millions of Americans with the image of a handsome, fair-minded, charming, family-minded black president with integrity and charisma.
And here's a list of 10 of Obama's campaign promises that concern the world:
• Reduce the US's carbon emissions 80% by 2050 and play a strong positive role in negotiating a binding global treaty to replace the expiring Kyoto Protocol
• Withdraw all combat troops from Iraq within 16 months and keep no permanent bases in the country
• Establish a clear goal of eliminating all nuclear weapons across the globe
• Close Guantanamo Bay detention centre
• Double US aid to cut extreme poverty in half by 2015 and accelerate the fight against HIV/AIDS, tuberculoses and Malaria
• Open diplomatic talks with countries like Iran and Syria, to pursue peaceful resolution of tensions
• De-politicise military intelligence to avoid ever repeating the kind of manipulation that led the US into Iraq
• Launch a major diplomatic effort to stop the killings in Darfur
• Only negotiate new trade agreements that contain labour and environmental protections
• Invest $150 billion over ten years to support renewable energy and get 1 million plug-in electric cars on the road by 2015